We've MOVED!

The new site is up, with new reviews, a list of the new comics arriving each week, and more...

Join us at:

houdinisanctum.com

Be sure and stop by, and as always - we encourage you to comment and suggest ways we can improve the site. Hope to see you there soon...




Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Jan 21 2008 Comics: Marvel


Amazing Spider-Man #584 As I've said before, this title has gotten better and better since becoming a weekly - last issue notwithstanding. The best part of this issue may be what will NOT be in it: no Barack Obama cover, and no horribly done backup story involving the new President. I understand why Marvel did it, and I guess I can understand why people rushed their local comic book stores to get a copy, but that doesn't change the fact that the entire issue was one of the worst in recent memory...


Dark Avengers #1 Maybe we'll finally get some clues about the identity of the mysterious Iron Patriot. A lot of folks have asked me over the last few weeks who I think the Iron Patriot might be, and I have hesitated to answer (mainly because I haven't a clue). The Dark Reign is just beginning, and we will all find out together. For a preview, click here

Mighty Avengers #21 I can't wait to read this book, as it promises to unveil a new roster and a new direction for Earth's Mightiest Heroes. I've always been an Avengers fan, but in my opinion the franchise has suffered since the team was split into two opposing factions. I will be watching and hoping that the Dark Reign is just the impetus needed to bring about some new cooperation between the two teams.

Guardians Of Galaxy #9 Abnett and Lanning's Guardians of the Galaxy is a series I always look forward to each month. This is a series that will soon become a must-read for anyone who intends to follow the looming War of Kings event, as that insterstellar war is sure to be played out in the pages of this title as well. This issue is slated to have King Blastaar's foces attacking 42 - the Negative Zone prison.

X-Men Legacy #220 X-Men Legacy is another title that has really kept my interest lately. The new focus on Professor Xavier has been an interesting and long-overdue utilization of one of Marvel's oldest and most powerful characters. Rogue makes her return in this issue as well.

Also on tap this week are Wolverine Origins #32, War Machine #2 (and boy, does Rhodey have a brand new attitude), Thunderbolts #128 (what direction will Norman Osborn take the team in now?), X-Men Kingbreaker #2 (more War of Kings), and X-Men Manifest Destiny #5 (which is a couple weeks late due to a printer error), and many others...

2 comments:

  1. I'm really courious about how the Dark Reign will unfold, and how it will affect the various Avenger teams (and other heroes).
    Also looking forward to Guardians Of the Galaxy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, logansan.

    I am curious as well. To be honest, Secret Invasion left me feeling disappointed, as I had higher expectations for the event. However, the Avengers books have been so all-over-the-place these last few years, that perhaps this might be the event to provide them some much-needed focus.

    As for Guardians of the Galaxy, it remains one of my favorite titles at this point - at least in the Marvel stable. Thanks for the comments.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome!

Welcome to my sanctum sanctorum of comics book delights. Every magician - even a comic book magician - should have a place to ponder the deeper mysteries of life, the universe, and everything; this is mine.

But I want it to be yours as well. While I plan to share my thoughts and ideas about various comic book issues and series, I am not so egotistical as to think that mine are the only thoughts and ideas with merit. Your opinions might just matter to me as much as my own (depending on what day of the week it is and whether or not I have taken my medication), so be sure to use the comment feature and let me know what you think. Whether you agree, disagree, think I'm just the most insightful genius ever to grace the planet, or a moronic spouter of useless blather, I want to hear it.

Hopefully we'll have a little fun along the way...