We've MOVED!

The new site is up, with new reviews, a list of the new comics arriving each week, and more...

Join us at:

houdinisanctum.com

Be sure and stop by, and as always - we encourage you to comment and suggest ways we can improve the site. Hope to see you there soon...




Sunday, January 11, 2009

Green Lantern #36


Writer: Geoff Johns
Artist: Ivan Reis
Ink: Oclair Albert
Colors: Nei Ruffino
Publisher: DC

After the entertaining and revealing 7-part "Green Lantern Secret Origin" tale, Geoff Johns is off and running again with yet another promising epic for our embattled ring-slinger and his comrades in the Green Lantern Corps. In this, the second chapter of "Rage of the Red Lanterns", Johns continues to spin the web that will draw Lantern fans into the coming Blackest Night event this summer - although one has to wonder how much blacker the night can get...

Let's just face facts: Johns is good. I mean, really good. It has been a long time since I have had much, if any, interest in Hal Jordan - or any of the Lanterns for that matter. For me, the entire interstellar police force idea had worn out its welcome long ago, and Green Lantern had pretty much become a background character of little or no importance. Geoff Johns has reignited my interest in the character and the title. His brilliant characterizations, crisp dialogue, and truly epic plotting have drawn me back into the universe - spanning affairs of the Corps once again; Green Lantern is now near the top of my must-buy comics each month, and the first comic I read whenever a new issue is released.

After reading Final Crisis: Rage of the Red Lanterns - the opening chapter in this present saga (and one that could've done without the Final Crisis tagline) - I was eagerly anticipating the current issue. The rise of Atrocitus, and the creation of the new Red Lantern Corps should send a chill or two down the spine of any Green Lantern fan; this is a Corps whose inherent threat far surpasses that of the the Sinestros. One exchange between Sinestro and Atrocitus sums up the scope of this threat perfectly. After Sinesto defiantly reminds Atrocitus that "Nothing frightens me. I am fear", the Red Lantern declares:

"And I am RAGE! You believe fear to be the most powerful force in the universe? Fear is inaction. Fear is hiding away. Fear is cowering and begging. Rage is ACTION. Rage is spilling blood."

Get the picture? This is not the Sinestro Corps waging a balanced war against the Guardians and their Green Lantern Corps. This is not some random galactic threat that needs to be dealt with. This is a Red Lantern Corps fueled by rage and dedicated to bloodshed and destruction. Atrocitus is determined to make the Guardians pay for the sins of their past, and plans to destroy the Green Lantern and Sinestro Corps alike. What I love about Johns' writing is that you can feel the rage of Atrocitus; there's nothing contrived or forced about it. His rage is real and, to those who have been following the series lately, understandable.

The artwork is simply gorgeous. Reis has turned in another fantastic feast for the eyes that ranges from the bloody horrors of the Red Lantern planet Ysmault to the lush greenery of Odym. Along the way we are treated to Green Lanterns, Red Lanterns, Sinestros, Blue Lanterns and Star Sapphires, all brilliantly rendered.

If you're not already a regular reader of this title, I recommend that you give it a look. It is consistently one of the best comics to hit the stands each month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome!

Welcome to my sanctum sanctorum of comics book delights. Every magician - even a comic book magician - should have a place to ponder the deeper mysteries of life, the universe, and everything; this is mine.

But I want it to be yours as well. While I plan to share my thoughts and ideas about various comic book issues and series, I am not so egotistical as to think that mine are the only thoughts and ideas with merit. Your opinions might just matter to me as much as my own (depending on what day of the week it is and whether or not I have taken my medication), so be sure to use the comment feature and let me know what you think. Whether you agree, disagree, think I'm just the most insightful genius ever to grace the planet, or a moronic spouter of useless blather, I want to hear it.

Hopefully we'll have a little fun along the way...